"Lekhma o Boosra" Meat Bread
Assyrian pizza from scratch! Simple step-by-step instructions, including tips on how to prepare the dough, types of seasoning you can use, toppings, etc. Very simple recipe. The basic toppings for an Assyrian pizza consist of meat, onions, salt, and black pepper.
Yields 8/ 6-inch crusts
3 1/2 cups A.P flour (11 0z.)
1 Tbs fine sea salt
1 packet Fleischman’s Active Dry Yeast (not quick rise)
1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups warm water (120 degrees)
Non-stick cooking spray (olive oil flavor)
8 plastic pint size deli cups/ with lids
1 lb. ground beef
1 bunch parsley
1 clove garlic
3 roma tomatoes
1/4 tsp spicy paprika
Salt and pepper for taste
Method of Preparation:
Dough: (preheat oven to highest temperature possible 550 degrees, with 1/2 in pizza stone on the oven rack)
1. Measure 1 1/2 cups of warm water (hot to touch, or reach 120 degrees on a thermometer)
2. Pour your packet of active dry yeast into the water and mix with a fork, until all the clumps are out and set aside. (About 15 seconds of mixing)
3. In large stainless steel bowl mix flour, olive oil, and salt together with a fork.
4. Allow the yeast to activate in the water, you will see explosions and bubble forming, and it will start to smell like bread.
5. Add the yeast/water mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix with a fork, a ball of dough will begin to form and look shaggy.
6. Pour the dough onto a clean surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
7. Tear the dough into 8 equally weighing balls. Round out and smooth the 8 pieces of dough into seamless, tight balls.
8. Grease your 8 pint containers with non-stick cooking spray and gently place each crust into the container seam side down, place the lid on and let all the air out.
9. Let the dough rest for 30-45 minutes before baking.
In a large bowl mix ground beef with finely diced onion, garlic, tomato (no seeds), parsley, paprika, salt and pepper.
Making the Pizza
Roll out the crust gently, pricking it with a fork to avoid rising. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on
the crust, and spread a thin layer of beef mixture onto the dough to the edge of the perimeter. Bake on a stone in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes.